- Status: 100% Time
- Salary: Salary range: $75,000-$80,000, commensurate with experience, plus benefits, including medical, dental, vision, long term disability, and life insurance
- Reports to: Legal Program Director
- Program Address: 3101 Mission Street, Suite 101, San Francisco, CA 94110
CARECEN of San Francisco
CARECEN SF is a non-profit organization established in 1986. CARECEN SF empowers and responds to the needs, rights, and aspirations of Latino, immigrant and under-resourced families in the San Francisco Bay Area – building leadership to pursue self-determination and justice. Rooted in its cultural strengths and born out of the Central American justice struggles, CARECEN SF envisions our diverse immigrant community as thriving, where families prosper, build effective community institutions and participate confidently in civic life.
CARECEN SF provides the following programs to the community: Immigration Legal Program, Health Promotions Program, Family Wellness Program, Second Chance Youth Program and Tattoo Removal Clinic.
Immigration Legal Program
Our attorneys and paralegal team are committed to providing high quality, pro-bono and low-cost immigration legal services to low-income immigrants and their families. Our goal is to empower the immigrant community to counter xenophobic attacks and discrimination through education about local, state, and federal laws designed to protect individuals and families regardless of their immigration status.
- Maintain caseload involving direct representation of individuals before the Executive Office of Immigration Review (detained and non-detained)
- Represent individuals in bond proceedings before the Executive Office of Immigration Review
- Volunteer at the San Francisco Immigration Court Attorney of the Day program
- Conduct initial client intake/consultations and evaluate eligibility for immigration benefits
- Maintain accurate, complete and confidential case files
- Participate in immigration trainings
- Participate in CARECEN SF’s immigration advocacy efforts as time permits
- Participate in administrative program meetings, agency meetings, collaborative meetings, and community activities, as deemed appropriate
- J.D. and a member in good standing of any state bar (*California strongly preferred)
- Strong bi-lingual (English and Spanish) language competency, including the ability to write basic correspondence in Spanish (*bi-cultural preferred)
- Physical requirements: able to sit and work at a desk for up to 7.5 hours, lift up to 20 lbs, sufficient mobility to work in standard office/courtroom settings
- Minimum of two to three years of experience working with clients in removal proceedings
- Experience working with low income immigrant communities
- Strong attention to detail and writing skills
- Strong problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively- strong team player
- Ability to manage and prioritize workflow with minimal supervision
- Ability to address ever changing community legal needs within a limited resources context
- Commitment to work with immigrants and to advance immigrant rights movement, particularly among the Latino immigrant community
- Knowledge and understanding of the political and historical context of immigrant communities and civil rights issues in this country. Ability to effectively work and communicate with diverse groups of individuals, including representatives of government, foundations, and grass roots organizations
- Knowledge in basic PC applications (i.e. Word, Excel, LawLogix)
Salary & Benefits
Salary range: $75,000-$80,000, commensurate with experience, plus benefits, including medical, dental, vision, long term disability, and life insurance.
To submit an application:
This is an immediate opening. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, short writing sample and 3 references by email to Laura Sanchez – firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail at the following address:
Attention: Laura Sanchez
CARECEN, 3101 Mission Street, Suite 101,
San Francisco, CA 94110